Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Trial of Your Faith

Many times throughout the scriptures, and even throughout our lives, we notice that there is a pattern when we get to a spiritual high point. Either before or after that point there is usually a trial.
In Matthew 4, Jesus fasts for 40 days and 40 nights and counsels with God. Then right after he’s done fasting Satan comes to tempt him. Satan asks him to prove that he is the Son of God, but Christ does not let Satan get to him.

When Joseph Smith went to the Sacred Grove to pray, he was overcome by Satan. He was surrounded by mists of darkness and he could not speak. Joseph did all he could to call upon Heavenly Father for help. But then right as Joseph was about to give up, a pillar of light shone down and Heavenly Father and Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith. They told him that none of the churches were true and that they wanted him to restore the true gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have definitely seen this pattern in my life. During my junior year of high school I basically didn’t have a testimony. I didn’t know if God heard my prayers, loved me, or even existed. I wasn’t happy and I had no idea what I was supposed to do with my life. Then one night I prayed and I asked Heavenly Father to tell me what to do, and I would do it. The next day was General Conference and about 15 minutes into the meeting, President Monson lowered the mission age from 19 to 18 for young men and 21 to 19 for young women. I knew right then and there that that was my answer. It felt so right. I finally knew that Heavenly Father was there, that He hears and answers prayers, and that He loves me.


I know that we are given trials for a reason. Yes, they’re not fun. They’re not supposed to be. We are given trials to test our faith. But I know that Heavenly Father will bestow great blessings upon us if we stay faithful and true. 1 Peter 1:7 “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment