Monday, May 5, 2014

By Small and Simple Things

In Luke 1 we read about the angel Gabriel telling Mary that she will conceive and that she will bear the Son of God. According to Jewish customs, girls became of age between 12 and 14 and boys became of age at 13. So Mary and Joseph were very young parents. I’m 18 and I’m definitely not ready to have kids for a long time! I cannot imagine having a baby at age 13. Mary could have said, “No way, I am not doing this! I am too young!” But instead she said, “How can I fulfill this?” She had perfect faith, faith like a child. The end of Mosiah 3:19 says, “…Becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.” Sometimes the Lord asks really difficult things of us, but he asks us to be obedient and faithful.
            
Many times throughout history, Heavenly Father has called upon His young servants to preach His gospel. Nephi was very young and helped lead his family to the Promised Land. Samuel the Lamenite was not very old when he prophesied of Christ’s birth. Captain Moroni was 25 when he led the Nephite army. And Joseph Smith was 14 when Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ asked him to restore the true gospel. These people didn’t have to be old or have an incredibly strong testimony. They simply had to have faith, obey, and trust in the Lord.
            
Doctrine and Covenants 64:33-34 says, “33 Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. 34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.”  These “small things” or young people are building up the kingdom, because they are willing and they are obedient. This principle is evident now with the lowering of the age for full-time missionary service. 18 and 19 year old young men and young women are being sent throughout the world to invite others to come unto Christ. Yes, they don’t have a lot of life experience and yes they are not that mature. But Heavenly Father needs them in the mission field right now, and more than 80,000 have answered the call to serve.
            
I am one of these “small things.” I have been called to serve in the New Hampshire Manchester mission and I report to the MTC on July 30th. I know that this will be the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know that this is what Heavenly Father needs me to do. I am ready and willing to serve and I can’t wait to get out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment