Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Peace, Be Still

In Mark 4:36-41 we get the miracle that the song “Master the Tempest is Raging” is based on. This is when Christ is traveling with his disciples on the sea and a giant storm comes upon them. Most of Christ’s disciples were fishermen, so they knew how to sail and navigate through storms. But this storm was bigger than any one they had ever seen. Their boat was filling up with water and the apostles assumed that their boat would sink. Christ was also asleep during the storm so the apostles were left alone to handle it. In verse 38 the apostles woke Christ and said, “Master, carest thou not that we perish?” Then Christ arose and said, “Peace, be still.” And the storm stopped and the seas were calmed. Then he asked his apostles, “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” Christ was able to stop the physical storm, but he also stopped a storm of fear. Faith and fear cannot coexist. When we trust in God and act in faith the storms will be much easier to bear. We will be blessed with a feeling of comfort and peace much sooner when we act without fear.

A few months ago, before I submitted my mission papers, I started to fear that I wouldn’t be a good missionary. I felt inadequate to represent the Lord and worried that I didn’t know the gospel well enough. Then just a few days later, my friend posted a video on Facebook of an arrangement of “Master the Tempest is Raging.” I decided to take a listen and an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort came over me. It was exactly what I needed to hear right then. The music and the message were just so beautiful. He added a line to the song that said “forgive us, O Lord, of our foolish fears, and please help us be still.” This line was just so perfect and helped to calm me. Most of my fears about serving a mission had gone away. The phrase “God doesn’t call the qualified, he qualifies the called” kept running through my mind. I knew that it would be difficult but Heavenly Father would be right there to help me and calm the storm inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment