Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lost and Found

In Luke 15 Christ tells the parable of the prodigal son. The prodigal son became lost when he rebelled and ran away from home. He spent all of his money, and then was in need of money and food. But then in verse 17 it says that “he came to himself,” which means he humbled himself and repented. He decided to return home to his father. And when he was still a ways away from home, his father saw him, had compassion on him, and ran to him.

This parable describes how I decided to serve a mission. The year before the mission age change I began to wander away from the gospel. I neglected my testimony and came really close to not having a testimony. Then I finally realized that I had to humble myself and ask Heavenly Father for help and guidance. I was lost, but He found me and blessed me with the knowledge to serve a full-time mission. I still didn’t have a very strong testimony, but I could feel Heavenly Father’s love for me. He ran to me, just as the father ran to the prodigal son. No matter what, He still loved me.

One of my favorite pieces of art is “Lost and Found” by Greg Olsen. This is what the artist wrote about the piece.


I recently received an e-mail from a young man who expressed his discouragement at not being able to find many images of the Savior with teenagers. He noted that he had seen many paintings depicting Christ with loveable little children, but rarely had he found his age group represented in such a setting. This young man closed his message with these heartfelt words: "What about us?" Many of us have probably asked a similar question. What about me? Who doesn´t love little children with all their precious innocence and charm? But what about those of us that may not feel as lovable; those of us who may have struggled and lost our way, or who have wandered paths that have left us worn and doubting our worth? Thankfully, Christ´s love carries no conditions and is extended in full measure, especially to those who feel lost and forgotten.

I know that Heavenly Father lives and that He loves us. He is always there to guide us back when we have lost our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment